How do you start conversations to check in with friends and family whose mental health may be suffering because of world events? The most important thing you can do is speak from the heart. Find a private, quiet time when you can provide your full attention to check in with other parents. Below are some sample conversation starters.
- "I'm trying to check in with people I care about. How are things going for you and your family lately?"
- "What can I do to support you during this difficult time?"
- "What do you think is important for me to learn about related to what you're going through?"
- "How is _______ (mental health concern) perceived in your social circle?"
If the topic comes up but a conversation isn't appropriate at the time:
- "I wanted to let you know that I'm here to support you. You can reach out to me anytime.”