Exercise can be a healthy way to help when kids feel sad, stressed or overwhelmed at times. It’s part of life and being a human. Research shows participating in aerobic activity can improve mood, boost confidence and self-image, and relieve stress.
Exercise can also help improve sleep, which may give your kids more energy. So, if exercise can do all these things for us – why not exercise?
It is important to take care of ourselves mentally and physically. Here are a few ideas for indoor/outdoor exercises to get your family started on a path toward a healthier life:
- Take a walk or run around your neighborhood.
- Join your local gym or YMCA.
- Take an online or in-person class through your local gym.
- Get on Instagram – many professional athletes and trainers post workouts on their stories and pages.
- Find a YouTube fitness video to take you through exercises.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Hike nature trails.
- Climb the stairs a few times – it will get your heart rate up!
- Challenge a friend or family member to an activity. See how many jumping jacks or crunches you can do in a minute, for example.
There are so many ways you and your family can get out and move your bodies to help reap the mental and physical benefits of exercise. Get out there and practice some self-care!